I write comedy songs and perform them, usually singing from the piano. I write about kind of anything really: I like playing with language, with multiple languages, offbeat musical styles, and subject matter that irritates me.
I’m recording an album in October 2017 at Orange Studios in Christchurch! It’ll be released in early 2018.
Where I do it
I perform in all sorts of contexts. Stand-up comedy, sketch, opening for improv, cabaret, places where I don’t have to supply my own piano.
I’ve done feature-length gigs at:
- The Second City Training Center (Chicago, 2016)
- Rannoch (Auckland, 2015)
- University of Waikato (Hamilton, 2015)
- University of Otago (Dunedin, 2013, 2015)
- St Paul’s Cathedral (Dunedin, 2014)
- Q Theatre (Auckland, 2014 as Augmented Fourth, a duo with Sam Smith)
- St Andrew’s on The Terrace (Wellington, 2014)
A while ago I organised these shows where audience members commissioned songs to be written on the night.
- Song Sale Auckland (2014)
- Song Sale Dunedin (2012)
This format Song Sale was invented by Saran Goldie-Anderson and Rose Duxfield in Wellington. I might bring it back, who knows!
- iO Musical Comedy Tournament (2017)
- NY Funny Songs Fest (2015)
- Arts Festival Dunedin (2014)
- NZ International Comedy Festival (2014 as Augmented Fourth, a duo with Sam Smith).
Funny songs are everywhere
Not strictly songs but
2013-2014 I co-authored a Tumblr then a book called the Eketahuna German Literature Society, where Cordelia Black and I wilfully mistranslated classic German poetry into strongly flavoured New Zealand English.
We’ve mostly sold out of copies but if you’re extremely interested I might have a few left. You can find it in some public libraries in New Zealand.
In 2014 I had a musical comedy duo with Sam Smith. We performed in the New Zealand International Comedy Festival and in Song Sale. We made songs together.