“a very talented entertainer” – Dr. Demento
“the New Zealand Noël Coward, the kiwi Cole Porter, the Tom Lehrer from Takapuna” – William Dart, Radio New Zealand
I write comedy songs and perform them, usually singing from the piano. I write about kind of anything really: I like playing with language, with multiple languages, offbeat musical styles, and subject matter that irritates me.
Where I do it
I perform in all sorts of contexts. Stand-up comedy, sketch, opening for improv, cabaret, all ideally places where I don’t have to supply my own piano.
I’ve done a full-length comedy music gig with an orchestra! Here’s one video from that:
I’ve also done less orchestral feature-length gigs at:
- MarsCon (online, 2021)
- FuMPFest (Chicago, 2019)
- Davenport’s Piano Bar (Chicago, 2019)
- The PIT (New York City, 2018)
- ComedySportz Philadelphia (2018)
- The Casino Club (Chicago, 2018)
- The Second City Training Center (Chicago, 2016)
- University of Otago (Dunedin, 2013, 2015)
- University of Waikato (Hamilton, 2015 & 2019)
- Freida Margolis (Auckland, 2019)
- St Andrew’s on The Terrace (Wellington, 2014 & 2019)
- Rannoch (Auckland, 2015)
- St Paul’s Cathedral (Dunedin, 2014)
- Q Theatre (Auckland, 2014 as Augmented Fourth, a duo with Sam Smith)
I appear regularly at Chicago’s cultural saloon The Paper Machete and cold-reading session Tuesdays at 9, and I was the host and funny song maker for Classical Cabaret, on Classical WFMT Chicago. (See Broadcaster for more.)
A while ago I organised these shows where audience members commissioned songs to be written on the night.
- Song Sale Auckland (2014)
- Song Sale Dunedin (2012)
This format Song Sale was invented by Saran Goldie-Anderson and Rose Duxfield in Wellington. I might bring it back, who knows!
- FuMPFest (2019)
- iO Musical Comedy Tournament (2017)
- Second City’s Beat Weekend (2017)
- NY Funny Songs Fest (2015)
- Arts Festival Dunedin (2014)
- NZ International Comedy Festival (2014 as Augmented Fourth, a duo with Sam Smith).
Funny songs are everywhere
Not strictly songs but
2013-2014 I co-authored a Tumblr then a book called the Eketahuna German Literature Society, where Cordelia Black and I wilfully mistranslated classic German poetry into strongly flavoured New Zealand English.
We’ve mostly sold out of copies but if you’re extremely interested I might have a few left. You can find it in some public libraries in New Zealand.
In 2014 I had a musical comedy duo with Sam Smith. We performed in the New Zealand International Comedy Festival and in Song Sale. We made songs together.